Thanksgiving is fast upon us, and this year celebrations will certainly be different from those of years past. Maybe you have decided to splurge just a bit this year with a bottle of wine. Well, if there is any leftover, White Wine Cake is devine and will be the perfect finish to a holiday meal.
When it comes to wine, I have never caught on. The taste just never appealed to me. Perhaps this is a good thing, as the sulfites in wine aggravate my asthma. However, I have found that wine can still be enjoyed among those of us who, due to health reasons, or simply because they do not care for wine, can still enjoy many dishes in which wine is used.
This dessert for Wine Cake is one I could never tire of. And since the sulfites and alcohol are cooked out at high temperatures, this cake is suitable for everyone, whether they like wine or not.
Don’t worry if you don’t know much about wine. Any bottle of white wine found in your local market will work well, so you need not spend a fortune. Just make sure you don’t drink too much wine and not leave enough for this cake. You need just enough to mix in the cake and for the sweet glaze poured over the top once the cake is out of the oven. And I promise, no ill effects from indulging too much of this cake!
White Wine Cake
1 (3 oz.) package of vanilla instant pudding mix 1/2 cup white wine
1 box of yellow cake mix 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1 stick of butter (8 Tbsp.)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup white wine
- Spray a 10 inch tube pan with oil or grease with shortening and flour well.
- Scatter pecans on bottom of pan.
- Combine pudding mix, cake mix, eggs, oil, water, and wine.
- Pour batter over pecans.
- Bake at 350* for 45 minutes. Use toothpick or cake tester to check for doneness.
- Make the glaze by combining butter, sugar, and water.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in white wine. Stir well.
- Use toothpick or cake tester to poke holes in top of warm cake.
- Pour half the glaze over cake. Cool.
- Turn cake out and poke other side with holes and pour remaining glaze over cake. Do this slowly allowing the cake to absorb the liquid.
This cake can be served with ice cream or whipped cream. But it is so yummy you will find it doesn’t need anything extra. Just enjoy.