Pitter pat! Pitter pat! Down comes the rain outside my window. I am not complaining. We have been stuck in a dry spell for several weeks, something that is very unusual for us this time of year. The humidity is increasing, the days are getting longer, and the boom of thunderclouds remind me that summer is just around the corner. Hotter days, and steamy nights are ahead. Time for ice cream and cool desserts.
This recipe for frozen fruit salad has all the flavors of summer so if your summer getaway is no further than your backyard, maybe this dessert will conjure images of tropic climes and take you away in your imagination. Easy to prepare and no need to heat up your kitchen, so that is a bonus if you can’t stand the oven on a hot day. Filled with cherries, mandarin oranges, pineapple, and topped with toasted pecans and coconut, this frozen salad is paradise for your taste buds!
Tropical Frozen Fruit Salad
1 (8 0z.) package of cream cheese or Neufchatel, softened
1 (20 oz.) can of crushed pineapple, undrained
1 (16 oz.) jar of maraschino cherries, drained with juice reserved in a seperate bowl
1 (11 oz.) can of mandarin oranges, drained
1 (8 oz.) container of frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 1/2 cups of toasted pecans, chopped
1/2 cup of toasted shredded coconut
- Use a stand or hand mixer to blend together the cream cheese and pineapple in a large bowl.
- Drain cherries and reserve 1/4 cup of the cherry juice. Add the juice to the mixing bowl. Mix until throughly blended.
- Add the cherries, mandarin oranges, whipped topping, and mini-marshmallows and fold in carefully.
- Spread the mixture into a 9×13 baking pan and sprinkle the top with toasted pecans and coconut.
- Freeze for about 3 hours until the mixture is set.
- Cut into squares and serve.